When you become a pool owner, one of the things you quickly learn is that there are a variety of pool cleaning products available to homeowners. Suction side pool cleaners are one of the options that will be available to you. These products are sold through pool supply stores and can be purchased with us, GPS Pools. Knowing the benefits of these popular pool cleaners can help you decide whether this is the right product for you.
How They Work
Suction side pool cleaners connect to the filtration system in your pool. These devices use the pressure from the pool’s intake to suck water from the pool and into the filter, thus forcing the water to be cleaned. Suction side cleaners rely on the existing pool pump to move the water through the filtration system. If the pool pump is not operating, then the pool cleaner sits in the pool, nonoperational.
Benefits of Automatic Suction Side Pool Cleaners
Although every suction side cleaner is different, there are some benefits you can count on no matter what the product. To get the best cleaner for your backyard pool, work with a reputable contractor who can point you in the direction of the right cleaner for your pool.
Picks Up Fine Debris
Suction side cleaners are good at picking up the fine debris, like little grains of sand, that might find their way to the bottom of the pool. This is important for the functioning of your pool and your comfort while you swim.
If you live close to the beach and regularly find small deposits of sand in your pool, suction side cleaners may work to keep your pool in good condition. However, your suction side cleaner may not be able to keep up with large deposits of sand.
If you’ve been paying a pool cleaner to maintain your pool until this point, they will be familiar with your pool and its normal level of dirt. They may be able to tell you whether the regular grit at the bottom of your pool would be too much for a pool cleaner of this type.
Automatic suction pool cleaners cost much less than some of the other commercially available products like robotic pool cleaners. They also cost less than paying for pool service on an ongoing basis.
One caveat: Keep in mind that suction side cleaners are less powerful than other products. Depending on the level of soilage in the pool, that low cost may be canceled out by other measures you’ll need to take to keep the pool clean. For example, if you still have to pay for a pool contractor to come out and clean your pool on a periodic basis, how much money are you really saving?
For some pools, suction pool cleaners are perfectly adequate without supplemental cleaning. However, not every pool will thrive when cleaned with this kind of product. Your pool contractor can help you decide whether a suction side cleaner is strong enough to keep your pool properly clean.
Suction Side Pool Cleaners are Low Maintenance
Because suction side cleaners use the filter pump’s suction to move through the water, they have no electronics of their own. Because they have fewer moving parts and no sensitive electronics, they’re less likely to break. If you like sturdy devices of solid construction, this type of pool cleaner is a good product for you.
What Should You Know Before Making Your Decision
- Not as powerful. Suction side cleaner products are effective for pools with low to medium amounts of dirt. If your pool is near a tree or another plant that dumps debris or seeds into the water, a robotic pool cleaner may be more appropriate.
- Adds to pump wear and tear. Because this type of cleaner requires the pool pump to be operational when the cleaner is working, it can add to the wear and tear on the pump. If the pump is not operational, then the pool cannot be cleaned. You’ll have to run the pump every time you want to use this cleaner.
Interested in a Suction Side Pool Cleaner? How to Get Started
So, you need to choose the pool cleaner that’s right for you. Ultimately, the right product will depend on many factors. We’ve got some tips that can help you make a decision.
- Know your budget. Pool cleaners range in cost depending on the type, model and features. Like all products, you get what you pay for. Knowing how much you’re willing to spend can inform your decision.
- Do your homework. There are many different types of cleaners on the market. Knowing about the different types and brands, reading reviews and doing other research can help you decide which product is most likely to meet your needs once you’ve made a purchase.
- Talk to a pool professional. The size of your pool, type of pump, level of soilage and other factors all play a roll in the type of pool cleaner that’s right for you. If you currently work with GPS Pools to maintain your pool, contact us. We’ll be able to recommend a product based on our previous knowledge of your pool.
Deciding which type of pool product to purchase can be hard! We understand. At GPS Pools, we’re used to answering customer questions about pool cleaners. We can help you decide which brand and which model, or if you’ve decided not to clean your own pool, we can give you information about our pool cleaning service.
To find out more about purchasing a pool cleaning product in the Tampa Bay area, or to get started with pool cleaning service from the pros, contact us today.