A swimming pool provides more than a place to relax and enjoy friends and family. It also provides much-needed exercise for the human body, promoting wellness and longevity. PubMed, reports that regular swimming can decrease body fat, improve flexibility and cardiovascular health and promote healthy levels of cholesterol. In the colder months of the year, it can be difficult, if not impossible, to step foot into the water. An electric pool heater can turn seasonal swimming into a year-round wellness activity.
How does an electric swimming pool heater work?
There are two basic types of electric pool heaters: electric resistance heaters and electric heat pumps.
- Electric resistant heaters suck cold water from your pool and move it through an electrical heating element. As the water circulates through the unit, it heats the water and then sends it back into the pool. The cycle continues until the water reaches the desired temperature.
- Electric heat pumps function similarly to resistant heaters, but they do not generate heat on their own. Instead, they draw heat from the air to warm the pool water. The colder the climate, the harder the pump will have to work to generate heat.
The amount of time each will take to heat your pool will depend on the size of your pool and additional factors. In general, you should expect an electric pool heater to heat the water by several degrees each hour.
What are the benefits of an electric swimming pool heater?
Electric swimming pool heaters are an excellent selection for many reasons. First, they are an affordable option, easy on the budget. Second, electric pool heaters are considered extremely reliable, lasting many years. They operate from a readily available heat source: electricity. Finally, some electric pool heaters can actually cool your water in the summer. This can be of great value if you live in a hot climate and desire a refreshing swim.
How much will it cost to heat your swimming pool?
As mentioned previously, buying an electric heater is a cost-effective option. You should expect a minimum investment of $1,000 for a small pool. The larger the pool, the higher the costs. Make sure to factor the cost of installation into the amount of investment needed to heat your pool. Plus, there will be a monthly electric bill to consider. The actual price will vary depending on the size of your pool and the speed you wish to heat the water.
How do you choose the best electric heater?
There are many good electric pool heaters available for purchase. Below are some pool heaters that have received excellent reviews.
- The Hayward HeatPro 120K BTU is a single-phase heat pump. It features a quiet operation and is corrosion resistant.
- The Pentair 460930 UltraTemp 70 High-Performance Pool Heat Pump features a user-friendly control panel with LCD display to set the pool temperature easily. The titanium heat exchanger ensures a long, corrosion-free life for this unit.
- The Hayward HP50TA HeatPro Titanium 50,000 BTU Heat Pump has received consistently positive reviews from customers. The acoustic compressor cover assures quiet operations, and the ultra-gold, corrosion-resistant evaporative fin provides extreme durability.
With so many quality options, the best way to choose the proper pool heater is to discuss your needs with a pool professional.
GPS can take care of all your electric swimming pool heater needs
When you are ready to start enjoying your swimming pool year-round, let GPS take care of all your pool-heating needs. We have a large selection of swimming pool heaters to choose from. We will help you select the right one based on the size of your pool, your heating requirements and your budget.
We are reliable, our products are affordable, and our installation services are top-notch. Give us a call today to set up a consultation with one of our friendly and knowledgeable pool service technicians to get your electric pool heater installed. We’ll have you enjoying the benefits of your swimming pool in all kinds of temperatures.